The ASC Leiden hosts visiting research fellows in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly (Leiden ASA), a network for cooperation between Leiden based Africanists.
About the Award: Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University. Apart from the regular visiting research fellowship programme, the ASCL also offers a joint fellowship programme with the IIAS (International Institute for Asian Studies). Read more about the fellowship programme with IIAS (See in link below).
Type: Fellowship, Research
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for a LeidenASA 90-day Visiting Research Fellowship, the applicant has to fulfil all of the following criteria.
He or she must:
- Hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying;
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa;
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career;
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards;
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship.
In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements.
- Preference will be given to applicants based in Africa. ‘Africa’ here refers to the member states of the African Union. ‘Based in’ Africa is understood to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four years; and
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
Number of Awardees: 2
Value of Fellowship: A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Accommodation in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own bed/sitting room (suitable for one person only). Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other fellows (male/female). If the offered accommodation is unaccaptable for the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the fellowship.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
Duration of Fellowship: A visiting research fellowship is for a maximum of 90 days.
How to Apply:
- The text of the call, and the application form for visiting fellowships for the period September-October-November 2020 can be found here.
- Please complete the application form and send it, together with all required additional documents, to: LeidenASA@asc.leidenuniv.nl
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.