About the Award: A doctoral (PhD) student is expected to conduct research and to contribute to the development of knowledge within the discipline. Expectations towards a doctoral student include the capacity to develop independent ideas and communicate research results in oral and written form.
The aim of the doctoral (PhD) studentship is for the doctoral (PhD) student to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to be able to conduct research autonomously within Political Science and to contribute to the development of knowledge within the discipline through the production of a scholarly thesis. Another aim is for the doctoral (PhD) student to develop an ability to later apply the acquired knowledge and skills within post-degree research or other qualified professional work.
The position is limited to four years in duration and is carried out on a full-time basis unless there are acceptable reasons to the contrary (minimum 50%). The position may include departmental duties, such as teaching, corresponding to up to 20% of a full-time post over the course of study. If such tasks are carried out, the duration of the appointment will be extended accordingly.
Field(s) of Study:
To be eligible for the position, the applicant must meet both general and specific entry requirements.
An applicant meets the general entry requirements for third-cycle (PhD) studies if he/she has obtained (Higher Education Ordinance Ch.7, Sec.39):
- a degree at the second-cycle level (MA level, or equivalent),
- at least 240 higher education (university) credits, of which at least 60 must be at the second-cycle level, or
- largely equivalent knowledge acquired in other ways in Sweden or abroad.
In Sweden, 240 university credits equal four years of successfully completed full-time studies.
According to the Higher Education Ordinance Ch.7, Sec.40, an applicant meets the specific entry requirements for third-cycle (Ph.D.) studies if he/she has obtained at least 60 higher education credits (one year of full-time studies) in Political Science or has equivalent qualifications.
- 1) An introductory letter of 1000 words maximum (approx. 2 pages), preferably shorter. The letter should consist of four paragraphs in the following order: a) a short presentation of yourself. b) a short presentation of your merits, c) a short presentation of the intended research project and d) a short account for why the Department of Political Science and/or the doctoral studies program is of interest to you.
- 2) CV including a list of publications (if applicable).
- 3) One writing sample. Normally, this would be a master’s thesis, but it could also be a revised version of the thesis, or another paper, article or book chapter for example or equivalent work. The texts must be submitted in Swedish or English. Any translated versions must be accompanied by the original text and translated in their entirety.
- 4) A description of the intended research project indicating the applicant’s research interests and planned focus area of his/her thesis and research. The project description must demonstrate familiarity with previous and current research as well as an ability to formulate scientific problems. 2500 words maximum (approx. 6 pages) including abstract, excluding bibliography. Further directions for the description can be found on our website.
- 5) Verified copies of academic transcripts and evidence of other relevant qualifications, if applicable. Please note that you need to submit detailed academic transcripts that specify your finished courses, credits and degrees. If English is not the original language, you need to submit both the original and an English translation. For degree transcripts from universities within the EU, please provide a diploma supplement.
- 6) Applicants may be asked to provide recommendation letters later on in the process. If so, we will contact you during week 12-13 and ask you to provide two recommendation letters. Please get in touch with two persons who may write a recommendation letter for you and ask them to prepare for submitting the letters following the instructions on our website during the above-mentioned weeks. Please do not submit any recommendation letters before we contact you and explicitly ask you to.
It is for the applicant to make sure that the application is complete. No changes/additions are allowed after the last date of application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All electronic documents must be submitted in PDF format.